Sunday 27 October 2013

Contemporary work

Here is a picture of my piece for the Contemporary Group Suitcase collection. The theme is "All in a Day's Work". This is what I wrote about it to go with my submission:



I made my piece to reference the daily efforts of women including myself to use woven textiles and stitch in their homes to provide a warm and safe environment for their family.

Woollen blanket scraps, some mended, backed with linen and stitched with old linen and silk threads as well as cottons. One piece of old grey blanket bears the eyelet as witness to its wartime use as a door curtain. There are buttons from my grandmother’s button box and these include a uniform fly button and liberty bodice buttons. I have added scraps of hand dyed blanket and coloured cotton.

 I don't hold out too much hope of it being accepted, I've not had anything accepted yet... still nothing ventured nothing gained! It'll be in the post tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. There are some little treasures among those "scraps" - it has a real sense of history and of that effort to get along in tough times - I'm thinking of the blanket used as a curtain in wartime especially.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you. Heather